About Feeding Texas:
Feeding Texas leads a unified effort for a hunger-free Texas. We assist hungry Texans through a statewide network of twenty-one food banks, lead the public discussion on hunger in Texas, and strengthen the anti-hunger movement through collaboration and capacity-building. The Client Empowerment Corps is an innovative program focused on alleviating the upstream, economic causes of hunger as well as the downstream effects of hunger on health. VISTAs will assess local communities, build non-traditional partnerships to increase client access to new services, and strategically incorporate the voices of hungry Texans into the public conversation on hunger through story-banking and other initiatives. Since 2014, more than 60 VISTA members and 58 Summer Associates have served with Feeding Texas' Client Empowerment Corps to implement a broad range of new programs, secure more than $2 million in financial resources, and serve thousands of Texans experiencing food insecurity.
VISTA Leader Position Description:
Support the success of a growing statewide corps of VISTA members in addressing the root causes of hunger while gaining valuable professional skills for your next career move. The VISTA Leaders assist Feeding Texas' Austin office with VISTA team recruitment, training, mentoring, administration and additional projects to build the capacity of our food bank network as a whole. Alongside a co-Leader, you will ensure that VISTA projects building innovative economic and health interventions to food insecurity are efficient and effective by monitoring progress of each member, synthesizing best practices and developing solutions to identified challenges. Leaders will be integral in all training and support for the VISTA team. VISTA Leaders will also have unique projects based on their interests that support their personal professional development. This position involves roughly 15% travel with project staff throughout the state of Texas to visit food banks and provide personal support to members. This role is perfect for people who are seeking to build skills and knowledge in program and grant management in a supportive team environment with ample personal mentorship.
- Passionate about social justice and innovative, sustainable solutions to poverty
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Strong professional written communication skills
- At least one complete term of National Service with AmeriCorps State and National, NCCC, VISTA, or Peace Corps required
- Teaching, training, or formal leadership experience a plus
- Ability to start service in April of 2019 strongly preferred
- Personal coaching for future career, academic, and personal goals
- Living allowance of approximately $1260 a month
- Opportunity to travel to and learn about food banks throughout Texas
- All standard VISTA benefits as eligible, including End of Service Awards, healthcare benefits, relocation assistance, etc. (Details: https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service)
How to apply
Please apply through the My AmeriCorps Portal at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=55714&fromSearch=true and complete the supplemental questionnaire at https://goo.gl/forms/qmsCvNaedwJY7buv1
Contact Angela Baucom, VISTA Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.