The 10-step process listed below can be followed when you are mapping assets. We'll look at each step in more detail in the following sections of this course.
- Determine your purpose for mapping.
- Map your organization’s “internal” resources and discover a mapping manager.
- Find out who will direct the process after mapping is complete.
- Create a geographic focus.
- Assemble an advisory group.
- Secure funds for the completion of mapping and the larger project.
- Utilize multiple tools, methods, and sources to identify and catalog the community's assets.
- Ensure storage of correct information.
- Prepare to invite individuals and associations to be further involved.
- Implement the invitation to further involvement and review your purpose statement.
Notice that this 10-step process reaffirms the idea that asset mapping — or the mapping of resources — is not simply writing down the answer to "What's there?"