END OF SERVICE
Item or Activity
90 days before your end-of-service date
|By the last day of your 10th month||my.americorps.gov|
|At least 60 days before your end-of-service date||my.americorps.gov|
At least 45 days before your end-of-service date
Last four weeks
|Within two weeks after completion of service (if not sooner)||VISTA Member Support Unit|
|After completion of service|
|Healthcare Marketplace – 1-888-318-2956|
PREPARING FOR END-OF-SERVICE
FUTURE PLANS FORM
- Complete service as scheduled
- Extend my service for less than one year
- Extensions are for no less than two weeks and no more than six months. Please note, the only end-of-service benefit available during an extension is the cash stipend.
- Reenroll for an additional year, which means you would continue service for one year at the same project or at a different project (re-enrollment)
- Terminate my service early
EVALUATION OF YOUR SERVICE
CLOSE OF SERVICE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE
250 E Street SW
Suite 4300, Mailroom
Washington, DC 20525
HOME OF RECORD
- The legal residence of your parent(s) or legal guardian if you had been residing with your parent(s) or legal guardian immediately prior to entering AmeriCorps VISTA service, or if you were a full-time student whose permanent residence was with your parent(s) or legal guardian, or
- The residence established by you:
1. While attending college immediately prior to entering AmeriCorps VISTA service
2. While employed immediately prior to entering AmeriCorps VISTA service
3. For purposes of voting or payment of state taxes
- You designated the official home of record as the legal residence of a parent or legal guardian, and the parent or legal guardian has established a new residence (if the new residence is outside the United States, CNCS will provide close of service assistance to the nearest port of exit).
- You designated the official home of record as the legal residence of a parent or legal guardian, and the parent or legal guardian has died. CNCS will provide close of service assistance to the legal residence of the surviving parent or legal guardian, or next of kin (if the new residence is outside the United States, CNCS will provide close of service assistance to the nearest port of exit).
- You have married and request close of service assistance to the home of record of your spouse.
- Close of service assistance to the new home of record is more economical to the United States government than the original home of record.
BREAKS IN SERVICE
SEGAL AMERICORPS EDUCATION AWARD
PROCESS FOR ACCESSING EDUCATION AWARD
ADDITIONAL AMERICORPS VISTA SERVICE
RESTRICTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
LIFE AFTER AMERICORPS VISTA
CERTIFICATION OF SERVICE
SERVICE AND YOUR CAREER
- 46% of AmeriCorps VISTA alumni who were employed within six months of ending service attributed their employment to a connection made while serving as a VISTA.
- About 50% of AmeriCorps VISTA alumni indicated that their service opened up a career path they wouldn’t have otherwise considered.
- 74% of AmeriCorps VISTA alumni agreed that their service was a professionally defining experience.
- 77% of AmeriCorps VISTA alumni agreed that their service was a personally defining experience.
VISTA CAMPUS JOB BOARD
NON-COMPETITIVE ELIGIBILITY FOR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOBS
- NCE is a special hiring appointment granted to AmeriCorps VISTA alumni in Executive Order No. 11103 (April 10, 1963). – Section 415(d), Title IV, of the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973, as amended.
- NCE permits (but does not require) a federal agency to noncompetitively hire an AmeriCorps VISTA alum who meets the minimum qualifications for the position.
- A hiring agency may extend the NCE period for two additional years if the VISTA alum, after the qualifying service, is:
- In the military;
- Studying at a recognized institution of higher learning; or
- Engaged in another activity which, in the hiring agency’s view, warrants extension.
- The use of NCE status is up to the federal hiring manager.
- VISTA alumni must use their Verification of VISTA Service letter available via my.americorps.gov as documentation for their NCE status.