Homemade Bodywash/Shampoo/Conditioner that will last a while & you can purchase with foodstamps!

Forum posting
No votes yet

I've been researching how to cheeply make my own body care products and just found this and thought I would share it. The best part is that we can purchase everything needed with our food stamps! Hope it helps!!!

Homemade body scrub

What do you need:

• 1/2 cup Oatmeal
  • 1 tablespoon dark organic Honey
  • 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon finely ground Almonds

How to do it:

Warm up the honey as in recipe above. Mix all ingredients well until you have a smooth paste

Gently apply it to your skin and scrub to exfoliate. Then let the mixture dry. Wash it off with warm water and a warm damp washcloth; end with a splash of cold. Pat your skin dry with a clean towel. Finally tone and moisturize

Baking Soda for Shampoo

Baking soda works wonders on hair, along with its other many household helps. It’s gentle, it’s the weakest alkaline, and it very gently clarifies hair from chemical buildup.

Like many natural cleaners, the recipe isn’t static — it can be tweaked to suit your needs. The standard amount for hair care is one tablespoon of baking soda to one cup of water. Those with curly or thicker hair might need a bit more baking soda, and those with thin or fine hair might need less. Experiment, and see what works for you.

I use a simple 8-ounce squeeze bottle, pour in a tablespoon of baking soda with a funnel, then fill up the rest with water from the kitchen sink. I give it a good shake to dissolve the baking soda, and it’s ready to be used.

In the shower, I soak my hair with water, then I squeeze a bit of the baking soda mixture on my scalp, starting at the crown. I massage it in as I go, squeezing a bit more here and there, concentrating mostly on the scalp. I include my hair as well, but since most of the oils originate from the scalp itself, the hair will naturally get cleaned once the scalp is clarified. After a few minutes, I rinse it out, just like I would shampoo.

Apple Cider Vinegar as conditioner

Apple cider vinegar is a mild acidic, working well to counteract the baking soda, and thus acts as a great replacement for conditioner. It detangles the hair folicles, seals the cuticle, and balances the hair’s pH balance.

A little goes a very long way, just like the baking soda. The standard recipe is also one tablespoon apple cider vinegar to one cup water. For this, I use an old conditioner bottle, and fill it with the vinegar and water via funnel, then finish it with a shake.