About the organization
Social Security has provided financial protection for our nation's people for over 80 years. Chances are, you either receive Social Security benefits or know someone who does. With retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, Social Security is one of the most successful anti-poverty programs in our nation's history. We are one of the largest independent agencies in government with over 60,000 employees. We work at more than 1,400 field offices and service centers throughout the country, as well as regional and headquarters locations. We are passionate about supporting our customers by delivering financial support, providing superior customer service, and ensuring the safety and security of your information — helping you secure today and tomorrow.
Incumbents are responsible for providing direct service to the public in a fast-paced environment. They determine the nature of a visit/call and analyze relevant facts to resolve problems, screen for benefit eligibility, interpret correspondence and explain benefit amounts.
The CSR position is an entry level position for SSA’s field offices. Service Representatives interview the public to process Social Security Numbers and Representative payee applications and accountings. They are responsible for timely input of reports of change for people already receiving a Social Security or SSI benefit. They must learn, understand, and be able to explain the technical provisions of the Retirement, Survivor, Medicare, Disability and Supplemental Security Income benefits. Further information about the Customer Service Representative position can be found at https://www.ssa.gov/careers/careersPublicContact.html
Claims Specialists interview applicants for benefits, determine a claimant’s initial eligibility for Social Security benefits, and analyze any evidence that will help make that determination. These employees obtain, clarify, and verify data used to analyze claims and make benefit decisions.
We are looking for U.S. Citizens who are quick learners with good written and oral communication skills, strong customer service skills, and the ability to handle a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience that is directly related to the position to be filled. This experience should equip the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to successfully perform the duties of the position.
Examples of specialized experience for CSRs include:
1) Applying laws, regulations policies or procedures to provide assistance preparing forms or documents;
2) Answering questions from members of the public or their representatives to obtain or provide information;
3) Using a computer to reconcile discrepancies or entering data; and
4) Responding to written inquiries and drafting a variety of other written products.
5) Researching and analyzing various regulatory sources in order to apply legal requirements;
6) Explaining rights, benefits, privileges, or obligations under a body of law to large volumes of people from different socioeconomic backgrounds;
7) responding to technical inquiries concerning program requirements, supporting documentation, payment issues, etc.
Examples of specialized experience for Claims Specialists Include:
1) Analyzing problems, identify significant factors, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions;
2) Planning and organize work; and
3) Communicating effectively orally and in writing; and
4) Using online technology and automation tools;
5) Assisting individuals in establishing their entitlement to receive benefits;
6) Adjudicating, authorizing or reconsidering claims;
7) Representing benefit programs before the general public;
8) Evaluating benefit program operations to assess the integrity and quality;
9) Interpreting program requirements and formulating policies, procedures and guidelines.
How to apply
This posting is for the San Diego, Chula Vista, National City, El Cajon, La Mesa, Kearny Mesa, Oceanside and San Marcos offices. Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and your letter of Non Competitive Eligibility.