For more than 135 years, the American Red Cross has helped neighbors down the street, across the country and around the world by delivering the mission to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. The American Red Cross VISTA Project will focus on program development and capacity building of the organization’s recruitment, engagement and retention of volunteers.
The VISTA will recruit volunteers while seeking to build the volunteer capacity, program effectiveness and ongoing coordination of the Disaster Action Team (DAT) Program whose members respond locally to disasters such as home fires and floods. The VISTA will also build a strong network of community partners and resources to better serve people impacted by disaster.
The American Red Cross West Virginia VISTA program is seeking a VISTA Leader in Charleston to support 8 AmeriCorps VISTA positions in Beckley, Charleston, Huntington, Kearneysville, Morgantown (2), Parkersburg and Wheeling between the fall of 2019 and the fall of 2020.
• Learn and teach geospatial technology software and other new programs.
• Form a plan with supervisor for the on-site orientation and training (OSOT); gather orientation materials, draft agenda, secure presenters/facilitators, etc.; participate in the implementation
• Evaluate and report on the OSOT to the supervisor, defining changes to be made.
• Identify learning needs of VISTAs and coordinate ongoing professional development; maintain professional development records for all VISTAs.
• Facilitate and encourage peer learning among VISTAs.
• Coordinate service projects.
• Conduct one-on-one monthly meetings with each VISTA member to review VAD goals, assess progress, address member needs, etc.
• Assist VISTAs in clarifying problems and creating their own solutions, involving the supervisor if the VISTA cannot resolve the issue otherwise.
• Train VISTA members on the organization’s reporting requirements and assist with reporting needs, escalating issues to appropriate supervisor.
• Collect monthly reports from each VISTA member, review data and summarize for project coordinator.
• Guide VISTA members in creating their own sustainability manuals to assist subsequent VISTAs with continuing project implementation.
• Archive all significant materials created and document all procedures for implementing the project, for convenient future retrieval by organization staff, future VISTAs and VISTA leaders.
• Suggest changes to the program based on challenges and successes VISTAs have experienced.
• In collaboration with staff members, create and implement a written plan for project sustainability.
• Support staff and volunteers in duties as appropriate and necessary.
• Essential competencies include writing proficiency, relationship management, public speaking, robust communication skills, ability to lead teams of people toward a common goal, strong computer skills including aptitude in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to learn new software programs with geospatial technology proficiency preferred.
• One-year commitment with the organization’s option to continue for three years.
• AmeriCorps VISTA Member are expected to work 35 hours a week and participate in training, activities and events related to job responsibilities. Position may require some evening and weekend commitments as well as some travel.
• Members are required to:
o Have a High School Diploma, or equivalent.
o Be at least 18 years of age at the start of the program.
o Have a current valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
o Is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States. Satisfy National Service Criminal History Check eligibility criteria, including state and national sex offender registry checks, state criminal history checks, FBI criminal history checks, and state Child Abuse/Neglect Registry checks.
AmeriCorps members will be provided:
• Bi-weekly living allowance totaling $14,892 a year based on a 35-hour work week.
• Provide in person and virtual training.
• Earn federal non-competitive eligibility for federal hiring process.
• Receive an End of Service Award for a Segal Education Award (valued at approximately $6,000) to pay for a range of education expenses or a $1,800 cash stipend.
How to apply
For more information or to apply please email your resume and cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.