Part of the nationwide Healthy Families America initiative of Prevent Child Abuse America, Healthy Families of Northern Virginia Family Service offers comprehensive support and guidance, through home visitation, to vulnerable parents. The mission of HF is to promote healthy prenatal outcomes, enhance the development of very young children, and promote healthy family functioning.
Program Supervisors manage the daily operations of their department unit; identify and assess client and family needs; supervise case management and support staff; coordinate service delivery to ensure that client needs, program goals and contract objectives are effectively met. All NVFS employees are expected to demonstrate the organizational values and sensitivity to the diversity of the organization’s client base. Please note: This position supervises staff who serve clients in Alexandria, however the Alexandria office location is TBD. The supervisor may be temporarily be working from Oakton/Fairfax County until the Alexandria office location is finalized.
Essential Job Duties:
Staff Supervision and Development:
- Identify and fulfill staffing needs; prepare and conduct timely staff performance evaluations; approve timesheets, leave and reimbursement requests, provide or arrange and schedule ongoing staff training to enable direct service staff to deliver client service effectively.
- Supervise program staff including regular individual and group staff meetings and case consultation; ensure proper client to staff ratio and monitor case files for quality and completeness; assist staff in achieving competence in reflective practice.
- Conduct regular and timely supervision according to established program guidelines.
Client Service Delivery:
- Assign cases to direct service staff, coordinate service delivery and day-to-day operations of the program.
- Monitor client cases from initial referral through discharge, promoting efficient and effective client services and administration procedures including adequate client record keeping, statistical and performance outcome reporting.
- Provide direct case work in the absence of direct service staff.
- Keep apprised of legislative activity and developments which may impact the program.
Compliance and Reporting Requirements:
- Ensure that service delivery is performed according to and within the NVFS mission, policy/statewide directive/procedural directions/case management model, and contractual/licensing requirements. Enter data for record keeping and reporting to meet federal/state/program guidelines.
- Responsible for goals and objectives of contract for programs; includes NVFS outcomes and reporting.
Meeting and Community Outreach/Resource Participation:
- Represent NVFS externally, and participates in local/regional task forces and community partnership meetings as appropriate.
- Act as liaison with community, civic, and business groups on behalf of program; participate in appropriate community task force committees; develop and monitor public relations within the scope of Agency mission and goals.
Qualification and Additional Requirements:
- Must have one of the following:
- Master’s degree in human services or fields related to working with children and families, or
- Bachelor’s degree in these fields with three (3) years of relevant experience.
- A solid understanding of or experience in supervising and motivating staff, as well as providing support to staff in stressful work environments.
- Knowledge of infant and child development and parent-child attachment.
- Experience with family services which embrace the concepts of family-centered and strength-based service provision.
- Knowledge of maternal-infant health and dynamics of child abuse and neglect.
- Experience in providing services to culturally diverse communities/families.
- Experience in home visiting with a strong background in prevention services to the 0-3 age population.
- Infant mental health endorsement preferred.
- Experience with reflective practice preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Successful completion of background checks required
- Valid U.S. driver's license; DMV record check may be required per jurisdiction/contract requirements
- May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours; must be reachable by phone during supervised staff's working hours
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of a person so classified.
Northern Virginia Family Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant.
How to apply