About Swords to Plowshares
Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides counseling and case management, employment and training, housing, and legal assistance to veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. We promote and protect the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state, and national entities. Believing that war causes wounds and suffering that last beyond the battlefield, our mission is to heal the wounds of war and to restore dignity, hope, and self-sufficiency to all veterans in need, and to end homelessness and poverty among those we serve. To learn more about Swords to Plowshares, please visit our website at www.swords-to-plowshares.org.
Job Title: Clinical Case Manager
Location: San Francisco
The Case Manager serves in a drop-in mental health social service program to provide homeless and/or disabled at-risk veterans with social services such as assessment, counseling, crisis intervention, information and referrals, mental health services, substance abuse intervention, benefits advocacy, and outreach. The Case Manager has current knowledge of community resources, including housing, residential and outpatient treatment for mental health and substance abuse, eviction prevention, emergency shelter. This full-time non-exempt position reports to the Director of Health and Social Services.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides a safe and supportive environment for organization’s clientele
- Adheres to laws regarding confidentiality and reporting requirements
- Provides psycho-social/mental status evaluation, such as gathering information to develop service and treatment goals
- Provides supportive counseling and referrals for shelter, housing
- Assists with eviction prevention processes and money management
- Educates regarding symptom and medication management
- Engages in substance abuse intervention in the areas of support regarding relapse prevention and linkages to outpatient/residential treatment programs
- Assists veterans with access to public benefits, disability benefits, etc.
- Outreach to community agencies, such as shelters, hospitals, jails, etc.
- Input HMIS/ETO data and record management
- Develops treatment plans around stabilizing in the community
- Records observation and progress
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s in behavioral science (social work, psychology, community studies, etc.)
- One (1) year of experience providing mental health/substance abuse and social services to low-income and at risk populations
- Understanding and basic knowledge of mental health symptoms and diagnosis, psychosocial stressors, chemical dependency issues
- Manage transportation to meetings and appointments
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods with repetitive hand movement using a computer keyboard in the performance of daily office activities
- Ability to carry out the essential duties of the position within what can be considered reasonable accommodation
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities and be comfortable working with an at-risk client population, including embracing the agency’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiative
- Basic computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to manage a large caseload of veterans
- Ability to develop positive relationships in the community
- Ability to exercise firm yet compassionate boundaries
- Must be a team player comfortable working in a dynamic and diverse environment
- Flexibility and problem-solving skills
Salary & Benefits
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Swords to Plowshares offers a generous benefits package including the following benefits:
- Excellent medical and dental packages
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- 17 vacation days in the first year
- 12 holidays every year
- Wellness program
Title: Case Manager – Masters Level
Reports to: Director of HSS
Unit: Health & Social Services
How to apply
No calls, please. Apply at https://chi.mysmartjobboard.com/job/90/case-manager-masters-level/
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in Swords to Plowshares, where/how you found out about this career opportunity, and your salary requirement.
Swords to Plowshares is an inclusive employer and we are proud of the rich diversity among our staff. Please join us!