About Swords to Plowshares
Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides counseling and case management, employment and training, housing, and legal assistance to veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. We promote and protect the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state, and national entities. Believing that war causes wounds and suffering that last beyond the battlefield, our mission is to heal the wounds of war and to restore dignity, hope, and self-sufficiency to all veterans in need, and to end homelessness and poverty among those we serve. To learn more about Swords to Plowshares, please visit our website at www.swords-to-plowshares.org.
Job Title: Outreach Specialist (Temp position)
Location: San Francisco
Employment Type: Temporary position, Full-time, Non-exempt
Duration of Position: May 1st 2020 until September 30th 2020
The Outreach Specialist supports the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Program by performing street outreach to; veterans living among the homeless populations of the county, veterans receiving services at the VA, and other areas where veterans may be found.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Participate in street outreach to identify homeless veterans and present the program as an alternative to homelessness
- Work with Outreach Coordinator, Director of Supported Services and Deputy Director to develop coordinated outreach plan
- Promote Swords to Plowshares’ mission, messages and public image, ensuring that they evolve appropriately and are used consistently and effectively, both internally and externally
- Engage in veteran issue-related online conversations including updating and managing social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other relevant sites with relevant information and resources
- Monitor dialogue and feedback in social media outlets and build and manage metrics reporting and analysis, analyze, make recommendations for action
- Adhere to the policies and procedures outlined in the SSVF program manual
- Engage in community coordinated outreach and presentation
- Transport program participants as needed
- Develop and maintain database of recruitment sites
- Assist veterans with referrals to access benefits, health services, housing, shelter, and basic drop-in services
- Perform follow-ups and track veterans enrolled into the SSVF Program
- Perform other tasks as delegated by the Deputy Director
- Two-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and/or work experience
- Translatable military experience and skills may be alternatively substituted
- Ample administrative support experience
- Employee must be able to perform all essential functions as described within what would be considered reasonable accommodations.
- Clean DMV – driving an 8 passenger van is required.
- Must possess computer proficiency in MS Office Suite and Internet search engines
- Treat all clients and colleagues with dignity and respect
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities and be comfortable working with an at-risk client population, including embracing the agency’s Diversity Equality Initiative
- Ability to work in a team environment and meet regularly with SSVF Program Staff to provide outreach updates
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Flexibility and willingness to perform multiple jobs in a work environment with changing priorities
- Proactive and take initiative in problem solving
- Reliably detail-oriented
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks
Position requires prolonged walking, driving, sitting, and repetitive hand movement using a computer keyboard in the performance of daily office activities.
Title: Outreach Specialist
Reports to: Outreach Coordinator
Unit: Health & Social Services – SSVF Program
How to apply
No calls, please. Apply at https://chi.mysmartjobboard.com/job/91/outreach-specialist-temp/
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in Swords to Plowshares, and your salary requirement.
Swords to Plowshares is an inclusive employer and we are proud of the rich diversity among our staff. Please join us!