MedShare engages a thriving volunteer corps of over 20,000 individuals annually in order to fulfill its
mission of improving the quality of life of people and our planet. The Volunteer Program Associate plays a crucial role in conveying the mission of MedShare to the public and ensuring that products are sorted and prepared accurately and effectively. The job includes (but is not limited to) completing orientation and training of volunteers, directing volunteers in product sorting sessions, completing process improvement and administrative tasks within the Volunteer Program department, and collaborating with other Volunteer Program staff & Operations staff in working towards MedShare’s mission.
Location: San Leandro, California
Reports To: Volunteer Program Manager, Western Region
Position Type: Fulltime, Tuesday – Saturday schedule
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead volunteer groups in sorting medical supplies
- Make volunteers feel welcomed and appreciated
- Explain the mission of MedShare to volunteers and provide specific task instructions
- Direct volunteers and provide assistance during sorting sessions
- Ensure quality of output and safety of volunteers, including ensuring volunteers follow COVID-19 related protocols, such as wearing face coverings, gloves, adhering to physical distancing, etc.
- Maintain sorting rooms and ensure proper equipment and supplies are available for each session
- Ensure that facilities used by volunteers are safe, clean and orderly
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of volunteer work, making improvements when necessary to help MedShare’s volunteers do high-quality work as efficiently as possible
- Identify and document improvements to standard operating procedures for the Volunteer Program
- Assist with maintaining data relevant to the Volunteer Program.
- Provide other support as needed to Volunteer Program, including:
- Recruiting strategic groups
- Answering volunteer inquiries and scheduling volunteer groups as needed
- Creating letters for certification of hours for individuals or groups
- Research medical items and share this information with all offices
- Support special events
- Work on special projects as needed and other duties as assigned
- Work with volunteer staff at other offices to ensure consistent sorting across locations
- Two years previous job experience (Associates degree or higher preferred)
- Ability to work flexible schedule including weekdays and weekends
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in English). Must be skilled at speaking to groups
- Lifting requirements (maximum amount of weight): 50 lbs.
- Energetic, hard working, and a self-starter
- Previous experience leading volunteer groups
- Strong computer skills, especially in web research and Microsoft Office
- Must comply with COVID-19 protocols for working in facility
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary expectations to: email@example.com with “Volunteer Program Associate, Western Region” in the subject line.
Must have viable references from prior supervisors. We will check all references! BART-friendly location.
Thank you for considering us!