Over 20,000 volunteers support our mission to end hunger together, which necessitates a VEA with experience working in a fast-paced warehouse setting, a high degree of customer service, and excellent communication skills. This position is an integral part of the Volunteer Engagement team, executing a best-in-class experience for Second Harvest Heartland’s voluntary workforce in its two volunteer centers. In addition, this VEA will support the known and trusted brand of Second Harvest Heartland.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Volunteer and Guest Experience
- Facilitate a best-in-class volunteer experience by upholding a high standard of customer service
- Greet individual and group volunteers, helping create a great first impression as they prepare for their volunteer shift
- Address an ever-changing environment in a positive, highly flexible, solutions-oriented manner
- Improvise in response to the unpredictable nature of a volunteer workforce
- Speak in front of large groups of volunteers on a daily basis
- Communicate the Second Harvest Heartland story, mission, and impact to volunteer groups during each shift.
- Adjust talking points and key messages accordingly as directed by other internal teams such as operations, communications or development
- Utilize digital content to enhance the volunteer experience during each shift
- Solicit financial donations and repeat visits from volunteers at the end of their shift.
- Orient and train volunteers on packing food product, including food & physical safety and quality procedures.
- Participate in daily team meetings, team trainings, and all-staff events.
- Monitor and effectively utilize the volunteer management database system as a core business tool
- Collaborate daily with the food sourcing and operations teams
- Warehouse and Production
- Fulfill the obligations of the Prerequisite and Food Safety Programs by participating in annual training and education, daily upkeep of assigned documents and practicing food safety through the use of SOPs and GMPs in managing the daily volunteer production.
- Train and oversee volunteers to repack/rework in ways that promote food safety, personnel safety and productivity.
- Ensure that the workstations are setup, tested and ready for constant flowing of product without unnecessary stoppage.
- Lead the clean-up of packing areas, preparation of food product containers, and packing materials for the next volunteer group.
- Set up, manage and clean-up projects by completing production logs, replenishing supplies, removing empty or completed pallets, compacting garbage/cardboard, etc.
- Follow food safety and safety regulations relating to OSHA, AIB, USDA and other company-related regulations.
- Utilize designated computerized inventory programs and equipment to efficiently support the distribution center systems.
- Weigh, record and document product for inventory adjustments and traceability purposes.
- Monitor equipment and maintain daily upkeep of pallet jacks, forklift, tape system, conveyer system, label printer, etc.
- Handle food safely and complete ServSafe Food Handler certification within the first 1 month of employment. Maintain Food Safety and Forklift Certification.
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure smooth operation.
- Serve as an Emergency Responder and complete company-sponsored training.
- Lead by example, serving as the public face of Second Harvest Heartland
- Proactively and positively manage issues with volunteers as they arise.
- Set an example of professionalism in behavior and in outstanding reliability.
- Interact with volunteers maintaining a respectful and safe work area at all times.
- Set an example for others by promoting safety practices in all volunteer areas and throughout the warehouse.
- Train, motivate, and monitor up to 100-person volunteer groups per shift in proper box packing and other tasks needed to transform bulk food to retailed packaged goods for distribution.
- Promote team culture in all working relationships with co-workers.
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with SHH’s mission, vision, and values daily.
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
- Ability to build strong, constructive relationships with a diverse range of individual and organizational partners, where common goals can be discovered, jointly shared and owned for maximum impact.
- Strong commitment to equity; ability to work with individuals from different abilities, ethnicities, genders, races, religions, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Demonstrate the ability to support the work of others. A high level of understanding and respect for the urgency and needs of others. Ability to see how actions impact others. Willingness to put the needs of internal and external customers first.
- Support innovation with an openness to new ideas, learning from others and flexibility to support change as needed.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify issues or areas of improvement and the willingness to address them.
- Maintain confidentiality of personal information of employees, volunteers, clients, donors and others.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and positive attitude.
How to apply
For complete job description and/or to apply for position, visit www.2harvest.org. Click on About Us and then Careers. Click on job title to apply.
Second Harvest Heartland is an EOE/AA employer.