The New Leaders Collective (NLC) Civic Engagement Internship provides an opportunity for three (3) individuals aged 17-24 years old to be exposed to grassroots activism and organizing, and identify support for progressive issues through civic engagement of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities in Virginia.
Interns will learn about redistricting in Virginia, use relational organizing to register voters, and gain insight into NAKASEC VA’s various organizing campaigns. Through firsthand experience, they will gain a deeper understanding of civic engagement campaigns and how to organize in local communities.
The internship seeks to:
- Introduce students to various civic engagement tactics;
- Provide participants with the tools to conduct political education campaigns with a variety of AAPI communities – including immigrant communities, low-income and working class residents, and multilingual and low-English speakers;
- Develop participants’ political research and communication skills;
- Positively contribute to the efforts of community groups working towards a fair democracy to increase accurate representation of AAPI Virginians and their issues; and
- Promote the next generation of AAPI organizers and change-makers.
***Due to COVID-19, measures will be taken to ensure the safety of everyone in the program, and interns will need to be available for in-person physically-distant community engagement. NAKASEC VA will provide all PPE equipment, training on how to canvass safely, and other necessary protocols.***
KEY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Preferred bilingual in an Asian language in addition to English, especially one of the following languages: Korean, Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese
- Enjoy talking and working with people
- Demonstrated interest, knowledge, and/or background in the major issues facing the Asian American & Pacific Islander community
- Strong commitment to social, economic, racial, and gender justice, health access, community organizing and building power of underrepresented Asian communities
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as with others in a team
- Previous canvass experience is helpful but not required as training and coaching will be provided to all employees
- Be able to use a computer and learn how to use a software database
- Ability to work evenings or weekends
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Applicants MUST be available for the entire duration of the program as this is an intensive, collaborative program.
Location: Annandale, VA and Centreville, VA
Job Type: Internship
Duration: June 7, 2021 – August 13, 2021 (10 weeks total)
Hours: 15 hours/week, with mandatory weekly meetings
ABOUT NAKASEC VA
NAKASEC is a dynamic grassroots-based organization founded in 1994 by local community centers to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Korean Americans and Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Its mission is to organize Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic and racial justice. NAKASEC maintains offices in Annandale and Centreville, Virginia, Chicago, Illinois and Los Angeles/Orange County, California. Our work in Virginia began in 2012, and current programs include Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, Community Services, and Leadership Development:
NAKASEC VA (National Korean American Service & Education Consortium – Virginia) organizes Korean and Asian Americans to achieve social, economic, and racial justice. Through community organizing, grassroots advocacy, civic engagement, and leadership development, NAKASEC VA works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
People of color, women, LGBTQ+ people, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
How to apply
- Short essay (1 page maximum) answering:
- Why are you interested in this internship?
- What do NAKASEC VA’s values and mission mean to you?
- Why do you think it’s important for Asian Americans to be civically engaged?
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the program reaches capacity.