Develop new strategies and tools for recruiting, screening, and training volunteers to help build a robust volunteer program at your site. For those developing a program from scratch or working with volunteers for the first time, this course is for you.
YOU'LL LEARN TO…
- Design volunteer position descriptions
- Develop effective volunteer recruitment strategies
- Conduct volunteer interviews
- Develop volunteer screening practices
- Create engaging and useful volunteer orientations and trainings
Read the syllabus to learn more about the commitment you’ll be making as you apply for the Volunteer Mobilization course.
Resource Development: Fundraising and Grant Writing
Gain the know-how and practical skills to support fundraising, event planning and grant writing and strengthen your site's ability to raise money. Students who take this course will have a free one-month subscription to a national grants database as part of the course.
YOU'LL LEARN TO…
- Raise funds and write grants ethically
- Identify and communicate with donors
- Plan and develop fundraising events
- Research and write letters of inquiry for grants
Read the syllabus to learn more about the commitment you’ll be making as you apply for the Resource Development course.
Poverty In Your Community
Deepen your understanding of poverty in the community in which you serve. Consider how the experiences of community members are impacted by intersections of race, gender, and other factors. Practice using data mapping tools to look at data trends in your community as well as interviewing and listening to different community voices.
YOU'LL LEARN TO:
- Consider common narratives and misconceptions about poverty
- Identify factors shaping current experiences of poverty in your community
- Collect and interpret quantitative and qualitative data to create a more comprehensive profile of the community in which you serve
- Apply what you learn about poverty in your community when engaging with community members and carrying out VAD activities
Read the syllabus to learn more about the commitment you’ll be making as you apply for the Poverty In Your Community course.
Please note that college credit recommendations are not currently available for the Poverty In Your Community course.