Purpose and goals
Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA builds capacity in vulnerable, low-income communities to develop plans and implement projects that increase the community’s resilience to shocks and stressors.
Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA projects respond directly to low-income community needs such as:
- Increasing availability of affordable, resilient housing stock
- Increasing resilience and accessibility of critical infrastructure
- Identifying resources for dealing with extreme events
AmeriCorps VISTA members engage the local community in capacity-building activities that respond to those needs in a way that will outlast any individual VISTA member's service in the community. For example, VISTA members may conduct vulnerability assessments, help write and implement community planning processes, identify funding and other resources for resilience work, or mobilize volunteers and other community members to implement resilience projects.
Current Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA projects are addressing a wide range of resilience challenges and solutions, including:
Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA benefits from the support of many partners, including:
- Cities of Service
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- New York Governor’s Office of Storm Recovery
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Sign up to receive the Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA newsletter.
- Have a question about Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA? Email us.
Resilience AmeriCorps VISTA Resources
- Discussion Forums
Keep the resilience conversation going by posting your successes, questions, challenges, and solutions.
- Resource Exchange
Share with other VISTAs resources you created in your resilience service.
- Resilience Academy Resources
Revisit presentations and participant materials from the Resilience AmeriCorps Academies.