TFT Project Example
A collaborative of six non-profit organizations is working together with a common goal of closing the achievement gap for public elementary and secondary school students in New Haven, Connecticut. The New Haven Education AmeriCorps VISTA Project, sponsored by the Agency on Aging of South Central Connecticut, placed ten VISTA members at:
- Dwight Hall at Yale
- Everybody Wins! Connecticut
- Experience Corps
- Higher Heights Youth Empowerment Program
- New Haven Reads
- United Way of Greater New Haven
The overall goal is to provide community solutions to support the New Haven School Change Initiative, a partnership of the City of New Haven, New Haven Public Schools, and the United Way of Greater New Haven, by increasing student literacy and by enabling students to gain access to college.
The key focus areas of the project include:
- creating better systems to recruit and train community volunteers
- securing resources to aid in the development of programs
- building community partnerships to support and expand existing services to serve and support more students in grades K through 12
- establishing College Access Centers to prepare students for a post-secondary education
VISTAs began serving with the project in July 2011. In the first six months, the VISTAs had recruited dozens of volunteers, raised $20,000 in cash and non-cash resources, and expanded literacy and wraparound services to almost 400 New Haven public school students.