A form of experiential education in which people learn through service. In contrast to traditional service, service-learning is designed so that those who serve also benefit from the experience in a clear way.
Although people of any age can participate in service-learning, it is particularly beneficial for students. Through their service, students can:
- Develop personal and professional skills
- Become more aware of the community in which they live
- Gain insight into particular issues
- Work toward becoming more engaged citizens
Benefits of Service-Learning
Service-learning changes the very nature of a volunteer project. Everyone involved in a service-learning activity benefits.
|Campus / Organization|
Service-learning works best when you are intentional about the learning goals of a service experience. Consider what volunteers should understand or learn or gain as a result of their participation in the activity. Are they:
- ...developing specific skill sets or utilizing the knowledge gained through their college courses?
- ...learning about a community issue?
- ...seeking ways to deepen their service?
Let's look more closely at ways to connect service and learning with student volunteer leaders.